Posted to alt.home.repair
FromTheRafters FromTheRafters is offline

Default ?B?T1Q6IFNhbG9uIE93bmVyIFJpcHMgVXAgQ2l0YXRpb24gYW 5kIERl?=?B?ZmllcyBPcmRlciB0byBSZW1haW4gQ2xvc2VkOiDigJxJ4o CZbSBub3QgcGF5aW5n?=?B?IHRoaXPigJ0=?=

trader_4 submitted this idea :
On Thursday, April 30, 2020 at 12:51:37 PM UTC-4, FromTheRafters wrote:
Muggles used his or her keyboard to write :
On 4/29/2020 8:35 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:

They already are, you just don't understand, they mutate all the time.
Maybe we can stop this one before it mutates into a fast mutator like
the flu or some more deadly strain. It is a whole different class of
virus fromt he flu.

Maybe???* Let people live their lives while the people who create the
meds work on it.* You don't quarantine HEALTHY people - you quarantine
sick people.

Whatever, I don't care, you are deflecting.

Whatever?? LOL I'm stating a fact.

It's deflecting because it has nothing to do with what we were
discussing.

You DON'T QUARANTINE HEALTHY PEOPLE ... you quarantine sick people!

Healthy astronauts were quarantined for weeks before blastoff and again
upon return. Still has nothing to do with mutation.

A better example would be people coming into the US during the Ebola outbreak
some years ago that had been in contact with people who had Ebola.

That's a good example.

I don't think it is necessarily a better example, because with the
astronauts before launch, they were not really suspected of being
unhealthy for any reason like they would be coming from a contagion
zone - they knew they were healthy but wanted to wait for symptoms of
some unknown recent infection like the common cold before committing
them to space isolation.

They were quarantined, though they were healthy.

Yes, but there was not a strong reason to suspect a recent infection
given the circumstances. Upon return it was of course the 'space germs'
we worried about.

If you stop a ship full of passengers and some are sick, are they
quarantined? Are only the healthy passengers quarantined? the sick ones
'isolated' and perhaps even taken off of the quarantined ship?

The terms are so often misused that it hardly matters anymore. On the
news I hear some foreign official has tested positive for covid-19 and
is in self-imposed quarantine.

If he's sick, he should be isolated, not quarantined. Does it matter
for general conversation, no, probably not. I gave her that one, it is
too common a misuse.

Even right now, Trump had
ordered people arriving from countries with high Covid rates to
self-quarantine and that's what they were ordered to do by ICE on arrival.
If you arrive in Hawaii right now from the mainland and don't live in Hawaii,
you are required to quarantine for 14 days, to give information as to where
you will be staying, presumably so they could check.

Yes, but people will never start using the correct terminology, and
Muggles was just deflecting from answering about how the virus only
'might' mutate.