Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default Best directions ever - one for Bill Wright

On 01/05/2020 15:02, NY wrote:
"williamwright" wrote in message
On 01/05/2020 12:46, Pancho wrote:
On 30/04/2020 21:14, ARW wrote:
It's a house in Fishlake on Trundle Lane.

My directions were "It's got a caravan on the drive and it's on a
left hand bend so it will not be hard to find"

No house number no house name..

53°36'49.4"N 1°01'08.8"W

Took 90 secs. You probably should have asked an apprentice.

Very clever, but the point is that people should give tradesmen a
proper address.

I've had a number of people who live in rural areas who give me
similarly vague "addresses" when I'm going to fix their computer. I
always try to get a proper postal address (eg house number/name and
postcode), and look the house up on Google Streetview beforehand so I
know what I'm looking out for.

I had one guy who seemed reluctant to give me the actual house name, and
when he gave it me, he said "It's called Willow Cottage, but that won't
help you because there isn't a sign on the gate". I thought "how the F
do you expect the emergency services to find you if you need an
ambulance in a hurry?".

A lot of people are too attached to the property name because it 'adds
value to the property' and refuse to use the number that the Post Office
Address File has allocated to the property.

This is why they have so much trouble buying stuff online.

My ploy of using Google does sometimes fall foul of Google's blurring of
car number plates, because that often blurs signs with house
number/name. Numbers are easy because if you find neighbours whose signs
are not blurred, you can count houses from them, and interpolate.

The best way of finding a house is if there's a village map. I found a
site that has PDF maps for a lot of villages in parts of North and East
Yorkshire. http://colinday.co.uk/maps/NorthYorks.shtml