Posted to alt.home.repair
TimR[_2_] TimR[_2_] is offline

Default What are these steel channels I see attached to electric poles?

On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 2:23:39 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 4/29/2020 12:10 PM, wrote:

That just meant that the creosote had oxidized to the point that bugs
were living in the pole. Woodpecker damage is pretty common in old
poles.

Not necessarily...EPRI (Electric Power Research Institute) for whom was
consulting at the time did study on dynamic resonances that were close
that attracted them thinking there were bugs in the poles when there
weren't.

We did the data collection and reduction; I retired before the project
was complete so don't know the end result.

The large pileated versions were completely topping poles...new and old.

--

That would never have occurred to me. Thanks for sharing, that's really interesting.