Posted to alt.home.repair
Jim Joyce Jim Joyce is offline

Default Brick Anchor

On Thu, 30 Apr 2020 15:48:31 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

In article 7b449dda-cdf9-4a82-8360-22c0e8414d54
, says...

I need to permanently mount a piece of art work (around 10 pounds) on an outside brick wall. I see there are a variety of different types of anchors like double expansion shield, sleeve anchor, wedge anchor. What type would you recommended for this application?
Thanks!
Bob Simon

Like everyone else has noted use Tapcons, use the correct
size drill into the motor. I have never had to use any
kind of lube.

I haven't had good experience attaching anchors to the mortar between
bricks so in recent years I've been drilling into the brick instead. So
far, so good, but I've read that bricks tend to get more brittle as they
get older, so you'd have to take that into account. A hammer drill with a
masonry bit is a must.

Anecdote: My current house and my next door neighbor's house are both just
a hair over a year old now. We both hung garden hose reels at about the
same time. He drilled into mortar while I drilled into brick. His reel fell
off the house 3 times, while mine has stayed put. The first two times he
simply used bigger Tapcons but the third time he accepted defeat and put
the hose reel in the garage.