Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_28_] Frank[_28_] is offline

Default Do I need to paint over Kilz

On 4/30/2020 12:16 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, April 29, 2020 at 7:45:22 PM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 4/29/2020 1:33 PM, wrote:
I am trying to use SW ceiling paint and the spot where I used kilz to cover a water spot shows through. The shiny kilz is whats showing. How do I get that to not be shiny?

That's surprising. Guess ceiling paint is thin, i.e. short on pigment.
Years ago I had a paint like that which needed several coats. I did a
ceiling stain recently and did not have this problem but may have used a
newer kilz grade.

I haven't seen it with ceiling paint, but I've seen it with high quality,
BM wall paint. I've put up some test samples of various colors and later
when covered with two or even three coats of the final color, at the right
angle you can see the underlying test areas. It's like a difference in
texture effect. And no, the colors were not something extreme either,
more like faint grays, light tans, etc.

It was years ago and not a high quality paint.

Funny story but as a kid I did a couple of days interior house painting
and contractor would not use a color that required more than one coat.
He had one that did and removed it for another color.

I think now that there are 3 grades of Kilz. Original was ethanol
solvent and quite drippy. The stuff I used recently was not.