Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default Brick Anchor

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 29 Apr 2020 13:20:04 -0400,
wrote:

On Wed, 29 Apr 2020 09:59:01 -0700 (PDT), Bob Simon
wrote:

I need to permanently mount a piece of art work (around 10 pounds)
on an outside brick wall. I see there are a variety of different types
of anchors like double expansion shield, sleeve anchor, wedge anchor.
What type would you recommended for this application?
Thanks!
Bob Simon

10 pounds isn't very heavy. If the artwork isn't subject to catching
strong winds or other such mechanical forces - anything will work.
My 100 ft. rubber garden hose is hung on 2 smallish screws into
cheap plastic brick anchors

So did you make the holes in the bricks, or in the mortar?

When I first moved in, I too needed a garden hose bracket, and I was
able to mount it with 2 or 3 screws in anchors in holes drilled in the
mortar. It had a wheel and a crank. Ah, suburbia, I've arrived.

I figured the mortar is much easier to patch later, although matching
the color may be hard, or impossible for some masons.

30 years of pleasantness and satisfaction later, a teeny hole appears in
the aluminum pipe, and water sprays out. I wrapped maybe duck tape
around it. Good.

A year later, a couple more or maybe bigger holes appear. I wrapped
rubber around them and used a hose clamp to hold it in place. Couldn't
tighten too much because I'm sure the tube will collapse.

Started looking for replacement. I wanted the exact same thing, but
everything on line was plastic, Everything at the store was plastic.

Went up in the "attic" where I save the empty boxes, just for this
purpose. Got the brand name and googled. Nothing. The whole brand is
gone. And it wasn't a totally fly-by-night brand... I think I bought
it at Hechingers, a local chain like Home Depot, but it's also gone.

Why can't the world stay the same?

Now I'm going to get one of those cube-shaped things with a crank and a
lid that opens. Suncast is the big brand.

But when I take off the old aluminum one, I'll have those holes. I only
need 3 tablespoons of mortar, but I don't know how to match the color.

Very few of the things I did 37 years ago failed, between few and none,
until 7 years ago and since then, it's pretty amazing how many things
have failed.

The secondary doorbell, in the upstairs hall burned out***.

The string that opens and closes my bedroom's curtains broke.
Restringing will take 30 to 60 minutes.

A big 4'x6' painting on the wall in the bedroom fell off just as I was
looking in that direction, a couple weeks ago. The eye come out of one
side of the frame, and one of the two nails the wire hung on cut through
the sheet rock and now points down instead of up, I'm trying to decide
which happened first.

I think there are other things 30+ years old that failed in the last 7
years. Well, me.

***I had bought two wireless doorbells from Sunset house. They were 2
or 3 dollars each, really cheap. One was for my mother, who used it
for 20 years until she died. Then I used it for 8 years until it failed.
Then I found the other one and I used it for 1 to 2 years utnil it
failed. 28 years vs. 2 years. !!

and it becomes a whole lot heavier
when filling watering cans while most of it is still on the hanger.
If you are really worried - use a bracket or backplate with
2 or 3 screws.
John T.