*CBHVAC*

Default Air Conditioning Repair

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
*CBHVAC* writes:

You cant buy SilPhos by the stick, so thats a pound at $45.
OxyAcyt torch, another 350.
manifold that is accurate, another 150.
scale thats accurate: another 350 to 600
vac pump, on sale 275
micron gauge, on sale, 150
flush, 75
ports, 5.00 each
nitrogen tank, with regulator, 250
R22, at least 90

That's the right kit for the job. But you can improvise certain repairs
without most of it.

And that was my point..there is getting it to work, and getting it to work
right.

My suggestion was conditional on this being an R-134a unit, not R-22,

which
would allow repeated filling and venting instead of vacuuming, obviating
the need for all that equipment.

134a falls under the same guidelines as any other refrigerant, other than
currently an EPA card is not required (well..it IS, but thats if you read
the law and take it letter for letter, and no one does.) to buy 134a.
BTW..havent seen but a few 134a units...most under 9000BTUs.

You're correct that it would be illegal these days with R-22 and less
likely to succeed with R-22 pressures. Although my tire patches back in
the 1970s worked fine on 300 psi R-12 high-side lines.

300PSI....on R12? Hummm....cant remember ever seeing a pressure that high on
a R12 system...unless of course, the ambient was over 115F, the underhood
was over 300, AND the metering device was clogged with an engine rpm over
2500...with the cooling fan blocked..
But hey...its possible...unlikely...but possible.
Gonna have to go look on the Cuda about midday tomorrow, and see what shes
running..