Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Crud in the puddle

Â* I'm repairing an aluminum part of a tiller for a neighbor , and
boy-o-boy is that a mess . This part is the main casting that carries
the tines and worm gear , and it's lots of fun to weld . I've been
welding a little then grinding all the crud out of the weld then welding
again . Takes about 2 grindings and the 3rd time I weld it I finally get
a fairly clean weld puddle . The biggest problem I'm having is keeping
the carbide burr(s) I'm using from loading up with soft fresh weld
material . I don't want to use any kind of lube on it to avoid causing
even more problems with contamination so it makes for slow work grinding
out the nasties . This project is not a cash job , he's going to do some
backhoe work for me in exchange . Good thing he doesn't need it right
now because it's slow going . Mostly because I'm getting interrupted by
the bees - they keep swarming and I'm barely keeping up with getting
equipment built to house the new colonies . Things are really poppin'
down here in The Holler !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old