Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing Sycamore sap

On 29/04/2020 10:34, F Murtz wrote:
On 29/4/20 7:03 am, Martin Brown wrote:
On 28/04/2020 16:25, Tricky Dicky wrote:
My neighbour has been given a car by her family which has stood for a
considerable time under a Sycamore tree. She asked me to pressure
wash it down which I duly did and also a good soapy wash down and
rinse. When I tried to chamois it down after it was still very sticky
and instead of the chamois removing the water marks it has left
streaks with fine bits of chamois powder mixed in. Any suggestions
how to get rid of the sap other than repeated washing?

It may not be possible depending on the paint system and the tree sap.

Pigeon poo and for example sweet chestnut pollen are both capable of
attacking the clear top layer of modern water based automotive
finishes. You can buff it out with T-cut and repolishing but it is a
lot of work.

If it is still tacky then you still might have a chance of dissolving
it again with copious hot water and a wetting agent in profusion. but
if it has acid etched into the surface then you have a problem.

Best you can hope for is give it a good hand wash with the hottest
water that you can comfortably stand using and then hose it down
afterwards. Or hot wash it just before heavy rain is due.

Trying to use a chamois whilst it is still tacky will be disastrous.

Bat**** is very destructive if not removed immediately

Not here it isn't - and I park under a pipestrelle bat roost.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown