Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.electronics,rec.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
David_B[_2_] David_B[_2_] is offline

Default Why does my server's redundant supply only have 12V?

On 25/04/2020 22:50, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 22:15:52 +0100, David_B
wrote:

On 25/04/2020 17:53, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 17:23:47 +0100, David_B
wrote:

[....]
Are you building a new computer for yourself?

Yes, a 24 core Xeon system.* It will run the Rosetta Coronavirus
research program, and when that's done, something else in biology or
physics.

In hindsight, it would have been cheaper to buy a crap version of the
server and upgrade a few parts.* I've had to get some difficult to find
brackets and adapters, like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223642667008
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392344221117
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161787339477
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372999585133

That's a very noble thing to be doing. THANK YOU.

I was already doing it for fun and to help out astrophysics projects, I
added Rosetta to the mix when the virus appeared.* You can set up Boinc
with as many projects as you wish and alter the priority of each.

It's a pity these projects don't hand out money (to at least cover the
cost of electricity), then I think they'd get 10 times as many people
doing it.* They already have a brilliant system so you can see how much
work you've done, and if you're doing better than others, so it would be
easy to apply a small amount of money to that.

I'll have a study here and see what I could do personally to help:-

https://medium.com/ankr-network/ankr...a-83d36134e248

I believe the program will run on any CPU under Windows, MacOS, or
Linux.* If you have a good graphics card, you should go for Folding at
home instead, as it can use that too.

Even mobile phones running android can run Rosetta.* Not sure what you
can run on Iphones.

I've downloaded BOINC and installed it on my old iMac.

I chose Rosetta@home but I'm not certain what further action I should
take. How can I tell if my machine is being used?