Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.electronics,rec.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
Shadow Shadow is offline

Default Why does my server's redundant supply only have 12V?

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 22:50:07 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 22:15:52 +0100, David_B wrote:

On 25/04/2020 17:53, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sat, 25 Apr 2020 17:23:47 +0100, David_B
wrote:

[....]
Are you building a new computer for yourself?

Yes, a 24 core Xeon system. It will run the Rosetta Coronavirus
research program, and when that's done, something else in biology or
physics.

In hindsight, it would have been cheaper to buy a crap version of the
server and upgrade a few parts. I've had to get some difficult to find
brackets and adapters, like these:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223642667008
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392344221117
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161787339477
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/372999585133

That's a very noble thing to be doing. THANK YOU.

I was already doing it for fun and to help out astrophysics projects, I added Rosetta to the mix when the virus appeared. You can set up Boinc with as many projects as you wish and alter the priority of each.

It's a pity these projects don't hand out money (to at least cover the cost of electricity), then I think they'd get 10 times as many people doing it. They already have a brilliant system so you can see how much work you've done, and if you're doing better than others, so it would be easy to apply a small amount of money to that.

I'll have a study here and see what I could do personally to help:-

https://medium.com/ankr-network/ankr...a-83d36134e248

I believe the program will run on any CPU under Windows, MacOS, or Linux. If you have a good graphics card, you should go for Folding at home instead, as it can use that too.

Even mobile phones running android can run Rosetta. Not sure what you can run on Iphones.

Be sure to ask BD what his configuration/hardware is on the
machine he sets it up on.
He loves technical stuff.
[]'s
--