Richard J Kinch

Default Air Conditioning Repair

Old Salty Frog writes:

Is my air conditioner
ruined? Since this portion of the copper tube where I accidently
put the hole into is easily accesable, can I solder it?

I am just an armature, but I have done many such repairs successfully.
Applying a vacuum and weighing in the charge require the costly tools. But
both of these can be improvised cheaply with R-134a if you're motivated and
assuming you can handle the soldering or brazing.

If it's a small hole in the copper tube you might even get by clamping on a
piece of rubber. Back in the 1970s we'd repair leaky rubber A/C hoses on
cars with tire patches clamped with hose clamps; lasted longer than an
expensive new hose. In your case you'd still need to solder on an access
fitting, though.

If you're motivated, and the unit is just junk otherwise, might be worth a
try.