Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default False ceiling

wrote in message
On 26/04/2020 11:25, Roland Perry wrote:
I've got an 8ft wide room that I wish to fit with a false ceiling.

2x3" battens (maybe an overkill, but they are easy to source) then
plasterboard.

How far apart should they be spaced?

The existing joists, which I won't be relying upon at all, are 15" apart.

Mr Google has loads of info from Building Regs, here's an example picked
at random:
https://www.fdean.gov.uk/media/3225/...march-2016.pdf -
suggests 400 centres, and that 2x3 is maybe slightly on the skimpy side
for 8ft.

surely the regs are based upon the assumption that the top surface of the
roof will be walked upon (either routinely or for maintenance)

this isn't the case here

tim