Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.electronics,rec.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
Commander Kinsey Commander Kinsey is offline

Default Why does my server's redundant supply only have 12V?

On 2020-04-23, Commander Kinsey wrote:
It's an old Dell R410, with supplies DPS-500RB (12V only) and D480E-S0 (12/5/3.3V). If the second one died, the first one can't make the server still run, as there's no 5V or 3.3V!

from the manual:

" 4.1 Power Supplies
" The R410 is powered by a non-redundant 480 W power supply (Dell P/N
" F238K) and redundant 500 W power supply (Dell P/N F649J).

Seems to be some sort of marketing speak (by which I mean incompetent or
intentional unthruths).

That sounds likely.

It seems the 500W unit is hotplugabble and can replaced from the back
of the machine (like on machines with redundant power-supplies)
https://picclick.com/LOT-OF-2-Dell-H...031920537.html

However the 480W is cabled to the main board and you need to open the case and
unlug the cables to replace it.
https://www.blackmoreit.com/h410jd48...-d480e-s0.html

So if the 500W failed, it would keep running, but if the 480W failed, presumably it would shut off since there's no longer any 3.3 or 5V? So unless I need more than 480W, the 500W supply is pointless, unless it makes the 480W last longer?

It would probably quit in both cases, else they would have built it
with two 480W mixed-voltage powersupplies.

the 500W 12V only supply is probably used in some other chassis, in
pairs, as a redundant powersupply, just the marketing guy is ignoring
the the fact that in this application (Dell R410) it is not redundant.

Sorted - Im building it from spare parts, and hadnt realised you dont use both supplies. You either use just one multi-voltage one, which connects straight to the motherboard, or you use two 12V ones, with a power distribution board to make the lower voltages - eg. Ebay item https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/223642667008

Oh well, I have an extra supply now which I'll convert for GPUs.