Posted to alt.computer.workshop,alt.electronics,rec.electronics,sci.electronics.basics
Jasen Betts[_2_] Jasen Betts[_2_] is offline

Default Why does my server's redundant supply only have 12V?

On 2020-04-23, Commander Kinsey wrote:
It's an old Dell R410, with supplies DPS-500RB (12V only) and D480E-S0 (12/5/3.3V). If the second one died, the first one can't make the server still run, as there's no 5V or 3.3V!

from the manual:

" 4.1 Power Supplies
" The R410 is powered by a non-redundant 480 W power supply (Dell P/N
" F238K) and redundant 500 W power supply (Dell P/N F649J).

Seems to be some sort of marketing speak (by which I mean incompetent or
intentional unthruths).

It seems the 500W unit is hotplugabble and can replaced from the back
of the machine (like on machines with redundant power-supplies)
https://picclick.com/LOT-OF-2-Dell-H...031920537.html

However the 480W is cabled to the main board and you need to open the case and
unlug the cables to replace it.
https://www.blackmoreit.com/h410jd48...-d480e-s0.html

--
Jasen.