Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Must cut 40mm hole in 1/4" aluminum bar

On Tue, 31 Mar 2020 10:28:30 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

whit3rd wrote:

John Doe wrote:

I tried a hole saw in my cheap drill press. Works perfectly for
hardwood, but doesn't work for 6061 aluminum

It's the per-tooth load that's your problem; the drill press
probably doesn't have a low enough speed for proper high torque on
the hole saw, so the per-tooth cut can't get deep enough. I'd
suspect you're getting fine waste crumbs instead of proper chips.
Lube is important for aluminum in this kind of thing, too.

The 'remove a few teeth' might help, or resharpening the saw (to
make a slightly less agressive cut) might do some good.

Yep, it goes nowhere.

My Dewalt DCD991 (0-450 RPM no-load) might do a better job if I could
get a perfect right angle on it, like in a makeshift drill press.

Planning to buy a DCD130 "mud mixer" (0-600 RPM). That might work well
as most low-end drill presses, if put in a decent press (a thingy to
move it through the work).

Find one of these.... They arent great...but they are better than
most. Turning a drill motor into a drill press does have its uses..on
rare occasions.

I used mine every year or so for odd ****.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/TABLETOP-DR...N/283855129983

These also come in handy. Ive got (2) of the Millwaukees and a
B&D..which is big, heavy and bulky and I seldom use it much..mostly on
plate steel.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Milwaukee-m...l/142882431025

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MAG-BASE-15...e/263545541077

Mine has a bigger base...a lot bigger..so its a pain to use..hell..its
a pain to find a place to mount it half the time..except on big plate.

__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.