Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Must cut 40mm hole in 1/4" aluminum bar

On Mon, 30 Mar 2020 06:02:59 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

I tried a hole saw in my cheap drill press. Works perfectly for
hardwood, but doesn't work for 6061 aluminum. I might try removing some
teeth from a hole saw, see if it cuts a little better without the
chatter. I am familiar with inwards and outwards leaning teeth.

Will I have better luck with a 40mm carbide cutter that has fewer teeth
and maybe better chip removal? The hole diameter must be near perfect,
so I might end up buying more than one (different versions) of those if
it cuts through the material.

Is there a small machine made for cutting shallow holes in metal? I
suppose a good drill press would work, but only if necessary.

I recently purchased DeWalt's small cordless metal cutting bandsaw and
think it's great for cutting most small/narrow aluminum.

I really want to cut that hole.

Thanks.

Take a 1/4-3/8" drill and drill a hole on the kerf of the hole.
Obviously drill it so you dont go outside of the kerf. This will allow
chips to fall through as you cut. This may not seem important..but the
saw WILL start to skate on the tiny metal chips and slow down the
cutting. If you are doing it with a drill motor..as you cut..give the
drill a slight swiveling motion. This will let the chips come out from
under the blade. It WILL speed up the cut. Not a huge amount..but
noticably.

And of course...when cutting with a hole saw..keep the rpms down.
Aluminum really has no top cutting speed..but all other materials do.
Keep your rpms down..even wtih aluminum.

Gunner
__

"Journalists are extremely rare and shouldn’t be harmed, but propagandists are everywhere and should be hunted for sport"

Yeah..with no bag limit.