xrongor

Default Leave furnace blower running 24/7?

"Minnie Bannister" wrote in message
DesignGuy, or anyone:

The red Filtrete (3M) filter (MERV=11; $9.xx at Lowe's) was what was in
place when we moved into this house six months ago, and we have bought a
couple more. A local store had the purple Filtrete on sale (MERV=12;
sale price approx. $10 instead of the usual $15+) a while back. and we
bought a couple of those but haven't used one yet.

Other family members have severe allergy problems, so we've continued
buying comparatively expensive filters.

Are we wasting our money?

MB

imho the 10$ filters is the best price range to be in. they actually seem
to do a decent job of getting rid of some stuff from the air. the el
cheapos are only good for keeping the cat out of the furnace should it
somehow get in the duct. the expensive ones seem to me like a waste because
if you really need a good air filtration system, you need to add a seperate
unit to your current system or get a dedicated standalone unit.

i had one of those washable 'electrostatic' type ones in a house i lived in
a while back. cost about 16$ i think with a plastic frame. when i need to
replace what i have thats probably what ill go with. washed it about once a
month and you wouldnt believe what came out of it.

randy