Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does my ground rod need replacing?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 17:03:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 2:45:30 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 1:12:35 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 8:16:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
bonded concrete deck and an in ground swimming pool. The current on
the transformer ground at the street in front of my house is 0.3 amps
but I have almost 3 on my grounding electrode conductor. (with the
main breaker off). I don't have any stray voltage around my house that

Interesting. Presumably you're not paying for those 3 amps, so it's free power!

It's not free, it's still flowing through the meter.

He said the main breaker is off, so how can it flow through the meter ?

Good point, I missed that. It would not be metered then.

I really wonder how there can be any current at all or maybe close to
the .3 amps that is on the one at the transformer.

It would have to be flowing via the neutral from the transformer to the
house, then to ground.

Still with 3 amps on the grounding electrode conductor, I wonder what is
wrong ? That current that should not be there is comming from
somewhere.

Somewhere I am not getting the big picture . I would think the ground
at the transformer at the street and the ground at the house would be
connected with a wire that has a low enough resistance not to allow that
much current. Must be a bad/loose or no connection.

That wire would be the neutral and it;s low resistance. But current will
take that path, plus a smaller amount will go through the ground rods.
Suppose the neighbor has 30A flowing on one hot. Most of that, let's
say 29A will flow via the neighbor's neutral back to the transformer.
But there is the parallel, higher resistance ground path and let's say
1A flows there, from the neighbor's house ground rod, through the earth
back to the ground at the transformer. There is also yet another path,
which is from the neutral at the transformer through the neutral to
Fretwell's house, to his ground rod, through the earth, back to the
neighbor's ground. That could be what he's seeing.

I suspect I am seeing most of the stray current from the primary side.