Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Does my ground rod need replacing?

On Tue, 21 Apr 2020 19:34:26 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Still with 3 amps on the grounding electrode conductor, I wonder what is
wrong ? That current that should not be there is comming from
somewhere.

This is just the result of wye distribution. The neutral current is
supposed to go back on the strand but there will always be voltage
drop and the difference will attempt to get back via earth. I have a
far better ground than that bare copper wire stapled to the bottom of
the pole.

Somewhere I am not getting the big picture . I would think the ground
at the transformer at the street and the ground at the house would be
connected with a wire that has a low enough resistance not to allow that
much current. Must be a bad/loose or no connection.

This is a 2 ga primary @ 13.5KV with 20 pole pigs on it over about a
mile of wire.
This is the map
http://gfretwell.com/electrical/Xfmr.jpg

There will be quite a bit of voltage drop in that wire.

As I said I was not getting the big picture. I was thinking a normal
house with the transformer about 100 to 200 feet away, not a mile.

You have the low voltage service drop but you also have to add in
losses in the medium voltage primary that will feed a whole street or
even a small neighborhood on one conductor plus the grounded conductor
that serves the primary and secondary.