Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Does my ground rod need replacing?

On Tuesday, April 21, 2020 at 1:12:35 PM UTC-4, TimR wrote:
On Friday, April 17, 2020 at 8:16:35 PM UTC-4, wrote:
bonded concrete deck and an in ground swimming pool. The current on
the transformer ground at the street in front of my house is 0.3 amps
but I have almost 3 on my grounding electrode conductor. (with the
main breaker off). I don't have any stray voltage around my house that

Interesting. Presumably you're not paying for those 3 amps, so it's free power!

It's not free, it's still flowing through the meter.

Which brings up a thought. Micky could borrow a DC clamp ammeter and measure current to his ground rod. Or, maybe we all should.

Since the ground rod in question is one that is apparently solely for the
alarm panel which is typically fed from a wall wart, the current should be
zero and whatever it is, it's largely irrelevant to the impedance, which
is the main issue. It's there for lightning induced surge protection.