jeff

Default Electric Dryer Heating Element Testing Question

Metal Man wrote in message . ..

Hi,

Heating element is not working.

Make, model#?
http://www.applianceaid.com/model.html
Some model# helps.

I checked the heating element with a
meter and it shows it has continuity at the terminals and shows no
signs of being broken or grounded when i check it on the housing,
visually and with a meter.

Good so far.

I do not have a meter to check AC current at the heating element where
the wires are plugged onto it. So while i had the dryer running i
checked it one of the little two wire circuit testers you can buy to
stick into a plug to see if you got fire. It lights up.

So my question is, can the element test out ok with the meter but
still be bad. I mean, i am sure anything is possible.
The element does not heat up or glow at all.

Not normally, the element must be physically broken ot be bad.

Since i am getting voltage to the element and it does not work is it
safe to say it is bad.

You cannot check for 220-240 volts ( for a full size dryer ) AC
properly with a light testor.

Did some searching on the net, and searched the group for something
similiar and did not really find anything.
Everything i read is that if a continuity test checks out, the element
is good. But like i said, i appears i am getting voltage to the
element but it does not heat.

A copy...
Q - My electric dryer runs but will not heat, what could stop my dryer
from heating ?

A - Things that could stop a electric dryer from heating:

- house fuse or breaker... - heating element ... - burnt wire ... -
thermostats ... thermal fuse ( not all models )... - motor heat switch
.... - timer ... - selector switch ... - burnt power cord/plug ...

A ohm meter test for these parts is below....
http://www.applianceaid.com/test_with_ohmmeter.html

jeff.
Appliance Repair Aid
http://www.applianceaid.com/