Metal Man

Default Electric Dryer Heating Element Testing Question

Thanks for the replys.

Ok, what i have done is connect the heating element to 120 like the
pop rivet dood did. It heated up and continued to heat.
It did not get red, (is it supposed to and did not because it did not
see 240) or is 120 all these elements see?
It just started to turn a cherry color when i went ahead and uplugged
it(which was about maybe 10minutes) I pointed a little infra red temp
gun at it and it was hotter than the thing will read, which is a
believe 405F.
Also as far as i see the little thermostat dookickies all show
continuity.
Could the problem be in the timer?
or what else to look at?
Is it possible to have voltage at the element but for whatever reason
not enough? Cause i show voltage there as evidenced by my little
circuit tester glowing. But i don't know how much voltage as i don't
have a meter to read AC. My meter only has DC voltage capabilities.
Trip to the hardware store is in my future i guess.

Anyways, thanks again and any more suggestion would be appreciated.

Metal Man

"Metal Man" wrote in message
.. .
Heating element is not working. I checked the heating

element with a
meter and it shows it has continuity at the terminals and

shows no
signs of being broken or grounded when i check it on the

housing,
visually and with a meter.
I do not have a meter to check AC current at the heating

element where
the wires are plugged onto it. So while i had the dryer

running i
checked it one of the little two wire circuit testers you

can buy to
stick into a plug to see if you got fire. It lights up.
So my question is, can the element test out ok with the

meter but
still be bad. I mean, i am sure anything is possible.
The element does not heat up or glow at all.
Since i am getting voltage to the element and it does not

work is it
safe to say it is bad.
Did some searching on the net, and searched the group for

something
similiar and did not really find anything.
Everything i read is that if a continuity test checks out,

the element
is good. But like i said, i appears i am getting voltage

to the
element but it does not heat.

Thanks