Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy333 Randy333 is offline

Default When using a dye, should you reverse to dislodge the chips?

On Mon, 13 Apr 2020 02:46:22 -0000 (UTC), John Doe
wrote:

This is not a big deal, but...

I just noticed a "Gearwrench" tap and die set that apparently includes a
ratcheting handle for cutting threads on a bolt. Looked good, would be
better than releasing and re-gripping the handle, but maybe not if you
are supposed to reverse direction in order to break off the chips?

Is there a general consensus for the usual situation, about reversing
direction to break off the chips when cutting threads on a bolt?

Thanks.

Generally yes, you do need to reverse every now and then to break the
chips. The small releifs in a die fill up fast, once full the die
cannot cut cleanly. I've never seen a spiral fluted die? I wonder if
its even been tried?

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy