127.0.0.1

Default Another Cable Network Question

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
Nate B wrote:

Let them get the modem set up on 1 computer, as is usually included in
installation, then go buy the wireless network components and read the
"quick setup" instructions. In the end, you'll have as many
computers as you want screaming on the internet by simply installing
a wireless card in each, pay 1 monthly service, no holes and mess all
of cables all over the house (and the costs of having someone drill
all those holes), and no extra monthly "home networking" costs.

I hope you'll permit a friendly amendment.

DO NOT hook up a cable modem directly to a computer! The output of the

cable
modem should go first to a hardware router/switch. To this, either wired

or
wireless, the computers are connected. In other words, the router/switch
(switch=high-speed router), sits between your computer(s) and the

internet.
This configuration enables hardware anti-intrusion, blocking, firewall
capability.

it's ideal to to put the router betw the cablemodem and the pc.
but it is also optional to directly connect the cablemodem to the pc under
certain situations.
the pc is firewalled and running DHCP to your home LAN. this pc can also be
running packet sniffers or proxy for your LAN. I use this setup for cheating
with online multiplayer games.

-a|ex