Curmudgeon

Default Electric Dryer Heating Element Testing Question

When element starts to heat, it expands and "opens" a break you can't see
and that the meter doesn't see when it's cold. Get a new element.

"Metal Man" wrote in message
Heating element is not working. I checked the heating element with a
meter and it shows it has continuity at the terminals and shows no
signs of being broken or grounded when i check it on the housing,
visually and with a meter.
I do not have a meter to check AC current at the heating element where
the wires are plugged onto it. So while i had the dryer running i
checked it one of the little two wire circuit testers you can buy to
stick into a plug to see if you got fire. It lights up.
So my question is, can the element test out ok with the meter but
still be bad. I mean, i am sure anything is possible.
The element does not heat up or glow at all.
Since i am getting voltage to the element and it does not work is it
safe to say it is bad.
Did some searching on the net, and searched the group for something
similiar and did not really find anything.
Everything i read is that if a continuity test checks out, the element
is good. But like i said, i appears i am getting voltage to the
element but it does not heat.

Thanks