Joseph Meehan

Default Recommendations for portable air conditioners?

SQLit wrote:
"Elaine" wrote in message
I was noticing on Amazon.com that the portable air conditioners
(that can be wheeled from room to room) have gone down in price.
Consumer Reports reviewed them years ago and said they weren't
energy efficient. The new units my Danby, Mobile Air and others are
combo a/c, humidifiers, and heaters.

Anyone have experience recently and are there any recommendations.
My apartment has the under window sleeve for air conditioners and I
do have two, but one is as old as the hills and fails to work most
of the time. A replacement would involve getting someone in to
install it, and re-plaster the wall around the sleeve. I could also
use the portable heater in the portable unit.

The only issue I have with the portable A/C's and coolers is they
need to be set up in a certain method so that they work. If you set
up this a/co in a bedroom and you have cold air coming out of it.
WHERE is the hot air going? Back into your house. Unless you have
them vented your playing a squirrel game and only helping the
utility. Bite the bullet and get the through the wall one fixed or
replaced.

I used a portable for a job on the 4th of July in Phoenix. The unit
was out side the room we were working on. I placed plastic over all
the doors and then ran the supply hoses into the room. The hoses were
hung from the light fixtures blowing down on us. 40K btu held the
room at 89 degrees, it was 115 outside. There was a steam header in
the room as well.

I believe Elaine is talking about a system that either split or ducts
air from the outside to past the condenser coils and then ducts it back out.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math