Jo

Default Another Cable Network Question

For the very brave, there is a new thing going on where you can get
wireless network over the eletrical lines. no gear in the house at all.
Security must suck. my neighbor uses it and likes it.

bill wrote:

My prejudice: I'm a wired ethernet guy. Maybe I just like running
wires, etc.

My internet (dsl - but that 's no different) comes into the basement
to my adapter and router. Then it's up into the attic via conduit and
conduit runs all around the attic, out near the eaves and away from
the the electrical wiring.

Since your users are across the hall, you can't just to the "through
the wall or closet trick." If you put in RJ-45 jacks in each bedroom
and get them lined up on the same joist space, the fishing job for the
wires wouldn't be too bad. And you dont' need electrical boxes, just
use mud-rings. (It's kind of scary to think you can actually get all
this stuff at home depot.)

However, all things considered:
I would usually recommend wireless. Unless you are spooling video off
a server to multiple rooms, you will never use up the bandwidth of
newer wireless standards. As far as Internet traffic - your cable is
nowhere close to the speeds you'll get on you own network. But you
hardly need that speed to share a printer. Make sure you keep up with
all security precautions! (My friend works for a big consulting firm:
she is specifically prohibited from having her work laptop on a
wireless network at home. She went with a "phone line network" which
has worked ok. You can also do a network over your regular house
electrical wiring.)

In my experience, getting the networking to work properly with the two
operating systems and each other will be more difficult than than
physically setting up the network. If both of the machines are running
the same o/s, you'll have a head start.

"Dorot29701" wrote in message

Most cable services will run the internet cable to the house and

inside one

room. Then you have the option of doing the rest yourself - if there

are

computers in other rooms you can use a wireless setup. We are

probably going

to get cable service and I'm not sure we can get the wireless setup

to work. As

long as we have to hire someone to do it, thought maybe we should

just pay

someone to wire those rooms.

My question: Both computers are in bedrooms, across the hall from

each other.

Would it be possible (instead of buying wireless setup) to have

those two rooms

wired for cable and get a spliter so the signal would go to both

rooms? Is that

even possible?

Thanks.

Dorothy