Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default A simple way to reuse disposable face masks?

"Kelly" wrote in message
polygonum_on_google wrote:

On Saturday, 18 April 2020 20:44:34 UTC+1, Kelly wrote:

I think I'm edging towards the compromise (until I get more supplies -
as needed) of maybe re-using disposable face masks, say 2 or 3 times,
by sterilising them in a pressure cooker. I'll review things as they
go along, and hope to keep healthy all the while.

We have home-made cotton masks (made to fit by partner).

I've also been considering making my own cotton masks after coming
across this Cambridge Uni publication (the full-text PDF can be
downloaded) which shows just how effective, for example, a doubled-up
tea towel material face mask can be.

https://www.researchgate.net/publica...54e85/download

Cut up vacuum cleaner bags work much better.
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...virus/12123574

Obviously, we have no way of actually testing. But our choice is to
steam iron them. Apparently (from some reasonably sensible sources)
ten seconds full blast steam just might be enough to sterilise them
adequately. Obviously, not thinking about the worst possible pathogens
as we each have our own and no-one else will even touch them.

I think the odds are good enough that it will work.

It sounds good to me too. I've picked-up so much valuable info today,
and now I have a further option. Thanks for being so helpful.