Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default A simple way to reuse disposable face masks?

On 18/04/2020 16:10, Kelly wrote:
harry wrote:

On Saturday, 18 April 2020 09:28:11 UTC+1, Kelly wrote:
I've been hoping I could find a relatively easy way to sterilise,
clean and reuse my coronavirus protection face masks, without the need
of powerful disinfectants and alcohol (which are of course also in
short supply). Then I came across this method online where a guy
reckons it's possible to do all this with just soap, hot water and a
toothbrush (it's almost as easy as washing your hands).

The guy plausibly (I thought) explains his method in a video:

https://diyjoy.com/how-to-sterilize-a-face-mask/

Could I please ask the 'experts' here in this newsgroup if they think
this is a good idea... or not?

Bleach.

Well, bleach will certainly kill any virus contamination (and it's
widely available) but once again the killjoys are out in force. This
time saying, " ...don't use bleach, alcohol or household cleaners to
disinfect masks as ingesting or inhaling these chemicals can be
harmful."

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/h...or/2940960001/

One of the good things about chlorine is that it is readily detectable
at a very low (and AFAIK safe) level.

IIRC it does not have the evil property of H2S where a relatively
limited exposure winds down your sensitivity to it, so that it is not
too difficult to end up breathing a toxic dose.

I'm happy to be corrected by someone "in the trade".

One of the things they taught us during fire extinguisher training is
that if using CO2, at the point where you get the "lemonade" taste in
your mouth then you get the hell out and leave it to the guys with B/A sets.