Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default A simple way to reuse disposable face masks?

"Kelly" wrote in message
Rod Speed wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Kelly" wrote in message
I've been hoping I could find a relatively easy way to sterilise,
clean and reuse my coronavirus protection face masks, without the need
of powerful disinfectants and alcohol (which are of course also in
short supply). Then I came across this method online where a guy
reckons it's possible to do all this with just soap, hot water and a
toothbrush (it's almost as easy as washing your hands).

The guy plausibly (I thought) explains his method in a video:

https://diyjoy.com/how-to-sterilize-a-face-mask/

Could I please ask the 'experts' here in this newsgroup if they think
this is a good idea... or not?

Not, it ****s the mask's filtering capability.
https://www.abc.net.au/radio/program...virus/12123574

But masks are pretty useless unless you are actually
infectious, they really just make it less likely you will
pick your nose with an infected finger or suck your
infected thumb or pick some food out from between
your teeth with an infected finger etc. So there isnt
any real point in cleaning a mask.

That's an interesting way of looking at things. I think even if the
mask was pretty useless, anyway, whether it be clean or unclean,
I would prefer to wear a clean mask. And cling on to the hope
that at least it was better than wearing absolutely no mask at all.

But cleaning it that way destroys its filtering capability.