Bob

Default Tired of bumping my string trimmer

"Shooter Dude" wrote in message
I have a Homelite string trimmer I bought at Home Depot.

First of all - next time you by a trimmer, stay away from the cheapos like
Homelite, Weed Eater, etc. Don't buy one with a curved shaft.

Reason: On the cheapos, the engine is a piece of junk. Actually the crank
shaft has a bearing on only one end. The engines rarely last even the
200 hours for which they are rated. Also, when you let off the throttle
to idle, the string continues to spin. This is because it has no clutch.
Therefore when you walk from the back fence to the front of the house, the
string is rotating - wear and dangerous.

For the least expensive good trimmer, I suggest Echo (probably about $200).
It has a well bearing'ed engine, rated at 1000 hours (and usually lasts
longer if you always use the correct oil/gas mixture). It is well balance
and easy to use. It has a centrigul clutch. You get five time the use for
less than twice the money. There are several good brands such as John
Deere, Huskie, etc that are even better, but you get into some high dollars.
For home use, I'd go with Echo. They will use .095 line and it works
fine.

If you buy something quality, it only hurts one time - when you pay for it.
If you buy something inferior for the cheap price - it hurts every time you
use it.

It uses 0.080 line fed from a bump-feed head. In 20 minutes of trimming
(mostly walking around), I have to feed line out at least 10 times,
usually requiring several bumps each time.

..08 line is correct for this unit. Don't use anything heavier because it
is harder on the engine (reduces life) and heavier line may not work as
well.

I've seen "fixed line heads" for sale that use pre-cut lengths of
heavy line. Before I waste $10 - $15 on one of these, are they any
better?

Don't waste your money!!!!!!!

Know it is too late on this trimmer since you already bought it and will
have to suffer with it until it konks out or you get disgustted and sell it
at a garage sale. But it might help on your next one.

Bob