Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default Panasonic drills/drivers

On 4/17/2020 3:26 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/15/2020 6:00 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 09:39:19 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/14/2020 8:48 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
I owned a Panasonic drill/impact driver back in the early 2000's and
it was absolutely the best I've ever owned.Â* I think they had 3.5amp
hour batteries - nickel metal hydride - but they lasted for.ever.
All day basically.Â* The impact driver had a slick digital clutch -
and then a "quarter turn" feature that you could use to fine tune
screw depth.

What happened to them?Â* Do those features still exist today?Â* I feel
like the Dewalts and Makitas I've been using are inferior.

Just curious.
JP

PS - still hate the improved Lee Valley website.Â* get off my lawn.

I owned the a Panasonic Drill Driver in the early 90's.Â* That was a
great drill that was eventually replaced as batteries were difficult to
find.Â* After the Panasonic I had 2 DeWalt's and a Makita drill and a
Makita impact.Â* Some how or another I was awarded with a Bosch impact
after the all of that.

8 years ago I bought a Festool drill, T12 kit IIRC.Â* It compares to the
Panasonic in build quality and longevity.Â* Still using the original
batteries with none showing any sign of weakening.

That's due to the chemistry.Â* I've had Bosch batteries for 10 years
(actually, 12 - 2008) and they're still as good as new.

FWIW I seldom if ever use the Makita Impact and or the Bosch impact.
The Festool drill driver has always had the power to do what the impacts
used to do for me.

Impact your wallet? (I shouldn't talk though)

It was a bit to swallow but 8 years later I surely would have replaced
another brand and batteries at least one time and that would almost be a
wash.

Plus I really have come to appreciate the electronic clutch not to
mention the different right angle and offset attachment chucks that came
with it.

The two Milwaukees are each over 15 and 3 of the four original packs are
as good as new...the fourth loses charge somewhat more quickly but still
functional.

They are big and heavy, though, altho I've not seen the Festool to
compare...is it 1/2" or 3/8"?

Doing the house remodel I was really impressed w/ the DeWalt the
contractors were using and had already yearned for the battery saw so
bought a way-marked-down kit(*) at XMas time...have been very satisfied
with both drill and impact driver (after having learned to use--it's
pretty bizarre from the first time-it's easy to strip a head out if not
used to. The Milwaukees I haven't ever used as driver much owing to
their heft except for rough fencing and the like).

Unfortunately for the thread I've never even seen a Panasonic what more
had one to use to compare...

(*) Only real shortcoming is they cut cost by cutting down to just 2 or
2.5 AH batteries...but 3rd party replacements of larger capacity are
quite reasonable altho these have lasted well enough for household
remodeling of interior work. Probably not so much if pro driving deck
screws all day.