Posted to alt.home.repair
Ralph Mowery Ralph Mowery is offline

Default Does my ground rod need replacing?

In article , says...

The ground rod also keeps the house ground from floating up or down with
the relative power used on the 2 hots coming in to the house. The fellow
across the street from me had lights that would get brighter or dimmer
as some appliance turned on or off. On my advise, they had the
electrician that re-did their wiring come check the ground rod
connections, which were not connected properly.

That is a by product. If the neutral wire was correct and making the
connection it should, the ground rod would have no effect. If all they
did was work on the ground rod wireing, there is still a problem. A
proper operating circuit will operate without any ground rod at all.

If the neutral wire is not making a very good connection from the
breaker box to the transformer of the power company then any unballance
in the current of the two hot wires ( US power system) will cause the
voltage to vary on each side of the line. So instead of having a
nominal 120 volts on each side of of a 240 volt line one side will be
lower in voltage as the other side is higher in voltage depending on how
much current is being used.