Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Panasonic drills/drivers

On Fri, 17 Apr 2020 15:26:45 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/15/2020 6:00 PM, wrote:
On Wed, 15 Apr 2020 09:39:19 -0500, Leon lcb11211@swbelldotnet
wrote:

On 4/14/2020 8:48 PM, Jay Pique wrote:
I owned a Panasonic drill/impact driver back in the early 2000's and it was absolutely the best I've ever owned. I think they had 3.5amp hour batteries - nickel metal hydride - but they lasted for.ever. All day basically. The impact driver had a slick digital clutch - and then a "quarter turn" feature that you could use to fine tune screw depth.

What happened to them? Do those features still exist today? I feel like the Dewalts and Makitas I've been using are inferior.

Just curious.
JP

PS - still hate the improved Lee Valley website. get off my lawn.

I owned the a Panasonic Drill Driver in the early 90's. That was a
great drill that was eventually replaced as batteries were difficult to
find. After the Panasonic I had 2 DeWalt's and a Makita drill and a
Makita impact. Some how or another I was awarded with a Bosch impact
after the all of that.

8 years ago I bought a Festool drill, T12 kit IIRC. It compares to the
Panasonic in build quality and longevity. Still using the original
batteries with none showing any sign of weakening.

That's due to the chemistry. I've had Bosch batteries for 10 years
(actually, 12 - 2008) and they're still as good as new.

FWIW I seldom if ever use the Makita Impact and or the Bosch impact.
The Festool drill driver has always had the power to do what the impacts
used to do for me.

Impact your wallet? (I shouldn't talk though)

It was a bit to swallow but 8 years later I surely would have replaced
another brand and batteries at least one time and that would almost be a
wash.

I've had both Bosch 12V and 18V sets (drill, driver, and impact
driver) for longer than that (though I just replaced the 12V drill and
impact driver with brushless models). In that time I've lost one
battery and that was right at the beginning.

Plus I really have come to appreciate the electronic clutch not to
mention the different right angle and offset attachment chucks that came
with it.

Offset would be nice but I haven't wanted to buy yet another drill. I
just can't come to spend that much on a drill/driver. The other
tools, sure, but a freakin' drill? Cheaper ones work perfectly well.