Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RangersSuck RangersSuck is offline

Default Must cut 40mm hole in 1/4" aluminum bar

On Wednesday, April 1, 2020 at 2:39:20 AM UTC-4, Michael Terrell wrote:
On Monday, March 30, 2020 at 2:03:03 AM UTC-4, John Doe wrote:
I tried a hole saw in my cheap drill press. Works perfectly for
hardwood, but doesn't work for 6061 aluminum. I might try removing some
teeth from a hole saw, see if it cuts a little better without the
chatter. I am familiar with inwards and outwards leaning teeth.

Will I have better luck with a 40mm carbide cutter that has fewer teeth
and maybe better chip removal? The hole diameter must be near perfect,
so I might end up buying more than one (different versions) of those if
it cuts through the material.

Is there a small machine made for cutting shallow holes in metal? I
suppose a good drill press would work, but only if necessary.

I recently purchased DeWalt's small cordless metal cutting bandsaw and
think it's great for cutting most small/narrow aluminum.

I really want to cut that hole.

I've cut them with a fly cutter.

That was my first thought.