Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Must get newer laptop connected

"Michael Terrell" wrote in message

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 9:53:54 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/16/2020 7:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:

This desktop is my last XP box - and it's dual boot with 7 as an
alternate since it got a new mobo . If the old motherboard had not
started to fail it would still be a straight XP machine . I may try to
resurrect that motherboard , I found 3 slightly bulged electrolytic caps
after the swap , all easily accessible for replacement .

If they are the cluster closest to the CPU, you should replace all of
them. The remaining old caps will continue to go up in ESR, and generate
internal heat until they fail. I replace a lot of bad caps.

Electrolytics didn't used to go bad like that. My stock of beer-can-sized
ones from the 80's which I occasionally reform leak less than 1mA after a
few minutes connected to a (vacuum tube) power supply set to their working
voltage and 15mA.

There was a rumor that the bad ones originated when an Asian manufacturer
stole an intentionally leaked faulty formula.

https://www.avg.com