Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Must get newer laptop connected

On Thu, 16 Apr 2020 18:49:02 -0700 (PDT), Michael Terrell
wrote:

On Thursday, April 16, 2020 at 9:53:54 AM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 4/16/2020 7:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael Terrell"* wrote in message

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 5:45:44 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael Terrell"* wrote in message

* I know that you like old and cheap hardware, but XP is long out of
support.
=======================================

Anachronism alert! Call the Fashion Police! Anna Wintour is outraged!!
Prepare for Y2K and the Mayan Apocalypse!

My TV antennas and rotor are long out of support too, but they still
work fine and need less maintenance than my neighbor's Xfinity. XP
didn't really need Microsoft's loving hands / greedy fingers to keep
it running.

I still use tools made in the 1800's. My HP test equipment is from the
70's and 80's, my machine tools from the 50's and 60's, and my newest
vehicle is a 2000. All were built to last, which isn't the case with
new stuff like my 12VDC powered freezer which is a $200 throw-away.

My CAD, flight simulator and datalogging programs run under XP. I was
using XP for Internet access until a few weeks ago when I finally got
posting to Usenet working on this W7 machine. The only difficulty with
XP was the increasing obsolescence of the last Firefox version. MS
didn't completely abandon it, I recently installed .NET updates.

Datalogging energy use sometimes requires putting laptops where they
could fall such as next to the water heater or hallway thermostat, so
I use my least valuable ones, running XP and W2K. The problem is the
attached web of sensor and power cables.

* This desktop is my last XP box - and it's dual boot with 7 as an
alternate since it got a new mobo . If the old motherboard had not
started to fail it would still be a straight XP machine . I may try to
resurrect that motherboard , I found 3 slightly bulged electrolytic caps
after the swap , all easily accessible for replacement .

If they are the cluster closest to the CPU, you should replace all of them. The remaining old caps will continue to go up in ESR, and generate internal heat until they fail. I replace a lot of bad caps.

+1
Just be REAL CAREFULL removing the old ones. Easy to damage the vias
on a 6 layer PCB and if you miss a connection down there in the middle
of the board it is virtually impossible to find and fix.