Michael Daly

Default Another Cable Network Question

On 13-May-2004, (Dorot29701) wrote:

My question: Both computers are in bedrooms, across the hall from each other.
Would it be possible (instead of buying wireless setup) to have those two rooms
wired for cable and get a spliter so the signal would go to both rooms? Is that
even possible?

You could if you had two cable modems. With one cable modem, you can plug it
into one computer, then add a second NIC and set it up for "Internet Connection
Sharing" (see the Windows documentation). Then plug the second computer into
that NIC. The two computers will connect the NICs with an Ethernet wire. No
router needed.

While it's possible for the cable company to check whether you've got two computers
connected this way, I did it for years without my supplier noticing. They did
come down on those who connected extra computers via routers without paying extra.

Make sure you have a good firewall software package installed and turn off access
to almost everything in your computer. Ditto a good virus checking software
package.

If you can't do this, the 14 y.o next door probably can. :-)

Mike