HA HA Budys Here

Default Another Cable Network Question

From: (Dorot29701)

Most cable services will run the internet cable to the house and inside one
room. Then you have the option of doing the rest yourself - if there are
computers in other rooms you can use a wireless setup. We are probably
going
to get cable service and I'm not sure we can get the wireless setup to work.
As
long as we have to hire someone to do it, thought maybe we should just pay
someone to wire those rooms.

My question: Both computers are in bedrooms, across the hall from each
other.
Would it be possible (instead of buying wireless setup) to have those two
rooms
wired for cable and get a spliter so the signal would go to both rooms? Is
that
even possible?

Thanks.

Dorothy

No.
The cable line (Rg-6 coaxial cable) first runs into a cable modem. From the
moden you connect to a network card on the computer with Cat5 or Cat6e.

The cable company doesn't run your network cable, they only run the coaxial
television cable that connects to the modem.

In order to network more than one computer you need to split the Cat5 cable
after the modem with a router, not the Rg6 coaxial line.

And most cable companies prohibit this - as the want you to pay for an
additional modem if you want additional computers hoked up - just like they
used to charge you extra to split your regular cable line and hook up extra
televisions and VCRs.