Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mike S[_4_] Mike S[_4_] is offline

Default Epoxy / adhesive for hard plastic (headphone hinge) ?

On 4/15/2020 4:19 AM, HW wrote:
On Tue, 14 Apr 2020 21:07:38 -0700, Mike S wrote:

Is there an all purpose adhesive or epoxy that I can use to
make one big solid mass of plastic?

No, unfortunately there is not. Plastics is a huge group of materials
with large differences in properties.

If at all possible, find out which type(s) of plastic you are dealing
with. Larger plastic parts usually have mark, in a normally invisible
location, that indicates plastic type.

If you can't find out, the job is merely a matter of trying different
things until you run out of patience.

I do not have personal experience with the products you mention, but
if it claims to be able to glue plastics such as PP and PTFE, it might
be well worth a try. Those plastics, along with PA (PolyAmid / Nylon),
are usually considered practically ungluable.

Your application is a high stress one, so it is possible a glue joint
will not be able to last, even with a glue that works. Sometimes, a
mechanical repair can be used. Some sort of bracket or clip that is
screwed in place, for example.

Thanks, and I agree, I think I'll glue it and then wrap an aluminum
brace around the perimeter to add additional strength.