Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Michael Terrell Michael Terrell is offline

Default Must get newer laptop connected

On Tuesday, April 14, 2020 at 5:45:44 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Michael Terrell" wrote in message

On Sunday, April 12, 2020 at 8:58:37 AM UTC-4, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Have you ever used clonezilla? I've used it many times. Burn a CD with
the ISO file, then boot and run from the CD. You can aalso make a bootable
USB stick instead of a CD.

https://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-live.php

These boot drive backup & restore programs are as dangerous as Format C:. I
learned one and stick to a revision of it that works for each OS version,
for example XP doesn't need 4K sectors or SSDs.

I know that you like old and cheap hardware, but XP is long out of support.

Some people do use newer hardware and software. Clonezilla was better behaved than some commercial software that I tried, and it isn't easy to screw up if you pay attention to the task at hand. It displays the drive information for each drive.

Some people prefer Norton Ghost.

I won't use anything from Norton.

I dumped AVG years ago. It became so unstable that I removed it from all of my XP systems. It had to be uninstalled and reinstalled about every third definitions update. I finally gave up on it.