Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small Collets, Snrink Fit, Etc

"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

On 4/14/2020 6:02 PM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Bob La Londe" wrote in message ...

...I recently picked up a surface grinder,
and I am making plans for making a cylinder grinding attachment for it.
It would be ideal for finishing hardened tool holders like this.

Might actually use some of my grinder vises like they were intended. LOL.

This is the unpowered cylindrical and straight/spiral flute grinding
fixture for my grinder:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/660903314050135724/

I've only resharpened large taps and wood jointer blades on it and don't
know how well it would spin and grind a cylinder with the wheel head
rotated to an angle.

Most cylinder grinder attachments I have seen for small surface grinders
count on you to dial in the axis of rotation perfectly parallel to the Y
axis travel. They assume X is locked and you will grind in Y only. Of
course this only allows for short cylinders or tapers. There are some
other ideas I am considering, but short of CNCing the machine (not out
of the question) they start to get rather 'Rube Goldberg'ish.

The axis needs to be at least parallel enough to keep the contact within the
wheel width. On my grinder the head and column also rotate horizontally so a
dish or cup wheel can grind on one side only, and clear the center support
on the other side. It's sort of a Shopsmith that does many things, none
really well.

https://www.avg.com