Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Small Collets, Snrink Fit, Etc

I'm looking for a tiny threaded collet. ER collets are fine, but you
can't really use them to make long reach tooling. Shrink fit is an
option I guess. My goal is to make my own mold making tool holders to
use modest price proper geometry end mills in long reach applications to
have greater rigidity than a long reach mill and better cost
effectiveness than a tapered end mill to achieve that. I know. I know.
It already exists in some types of tool holders,but I want to make
something a little more universal to fit into tool holders I already
have. Harvey tools makes an end mill extension, but their current
version isn't tapered or designed quite right for what I want. I could
buy them and maybe modify them, but they aren't cheap. Mostly I am just
thinking out loud right now. I recently picked up a surface grinder,
and I am making plans for making a cylinder grinding attachment for it.
It would be ideal for finishing hardened tool holders like this.

Might actually use some of my grinder vises like they were intended. LOL.