Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Help to copy files please

On 13/04/2020 22:48, Roger Hayter wrote:
John Rumm wrote:

On 13/04/2020 14:17, Broadback wrote:

I wish to copy files from DVDs to my computer. Sadly they are labelled
trck1 etc on the discs, so I cannot copy more than one. Is there away
around this apart from laboriously rebelling each individually? TIA

First question is, are these movie DVDs or data DVDs? And if movies, are
the commercial ones (i.e. likely to have copy protection)?

(if data, and just a filename collision problem - then I can do
different instructions!)

For copying copy protected DVDs you need DVD "ripper" software that can
also disable the CSS protection on the disk. There are many ways to do
this - both free and paid for. Of the free options I would look at:

http://makemkv.com/

For a commercial solution, then I prefer AndDVD HD from RedFox:

https://www.redfox.bz/en/anydvdhd.html

Once installed that makes the copy protection on any inserted disk just
"disappear", and from then on it can be treated just like an unprotected
disk.

So programs like Handbrake:

https://handbrake.fr/

can then access the disc directly and transcode it into a single file in
whatever movie format and resolution you want.

I vaguely heard a rumour that the copy protection on new BluRay 4k disks
was more sophisticated; do you know if these can be copied just as
easily? Not that I have many of them!

they are very hard to rip.

I think only Apple kit can play them let alone rip them

But that may be old news.

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"