Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default priming a rusty gate and posts

On Monday, 13 April 2020 23:17:51 UTC+1, AJH wrote:

I guess it depends on the state of the posts at their base. I'd hate to have
primed a gate only to find only the rust is holding the post together!

I started cleaning up the bottoms of the posts today and the rust has
perforated the metal just above the concrete in a couple of places on
each post, I wire brushed them, applied a first aid thin band of paint
and am wondering whether to squirt some foam in to exclude water and air?

In the mean while I have taped over the holes. I could plate over with a
welder but it's probably not necessary as they are firm.

I have yet to order the pH down.

Foam saturates in time, keeping the metal permanently wet.

NT