Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jimk Jimk is offline

Default priming a rusty gate and posts

AJH Wrote in message:
On 12/04/2020 14:16, alan_m wrote:
On 12/04/2020 13:22, John wrote:
On Sun, 12 Apr 2020 13:00:48 +0100, AJH wrote:

One of those jobs I've looked at and passed by for years is our front
gate. It's not been touched in 41 years and probably not before that for
a while.

The posts are steel square RHS and the gates welded mild steel with
scroll patterns. They appear to have been primed with a zinc rich paint
like galvafroid and then painted black. Now about 50% of the surface is
rusty.

I can wire brusk the rust and paint over with smooth hammerite but
wondered if it was worth applying some phosphoric acid based rust eater
and deterent first. If so what is a cheap source as those little tubs
for rust spots on cars are far too expensive.

I bought a gallon equivalent from amazon for around £20 it was called
toilet cleaner.

Used in Hydroponics "pH Down" is 81% phosphoric acid.

I have noticed that in the past few weeks certain chemicals that I have
purchased in the past and require again now are either in short supply
with many retailers saying out of stock or have gone up in price (in one
case the price per litre is now the same as I paid for 5 litres in
December.)

Thanks, shame I cannot pick any up locally but it still works out
cheaper than the descaler if I dilute it to 30% even with delivery

1 litre 81% £10.99 delivered off eBay...
--
Jimk

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/