Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Doe[_4_] John Doe[_4_] is offline

Default When using a dye, should you reverse to dislodge the chips?

This is not a big deal, but...

I just noticed a "Gearwrench" tap and die set that apparently includes a
ratcheting handle for cutting threads on a bolt. Looked good, would be
better than releasing and re-gripping the handle, but maybe not if you
are supposed to reverse direction in order to break off the chips?

Is there a general consensus for the usual situation, about reversing
direction to break off the chips when cutting threads on a bolt?

Thanks.

--

I guess there are higher class ways to cut threads on a bolt than a
typical tap and die set, but indulge me.