Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Bryan[_2_] John Bryan[_2_] is offline

Default Maplin Resurrection?

In message
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
Adrian Caspersz wrote:
On 10/04/2020 09:59, Andrew wrote:
On 10/04/2020 09:01, charles wrote:

The original Maplin was basically by post, but thre was a shop in
Southend.

and don't forget CAShTel :-)

and Henry's Radio. and Proops (a lunchtime excursion)

DISTEL ??

Heh, I once saw the actual computer that ran that ..

Display Electronics has been subsumed into a prop hiring company, a
roundabout way of getting some value from now very redundant electronic
technology that today's purchasers were increasingly shying away from.

https://www.electroprops.co.uk/

I was rather surprised, somewhere round about 2005, when working on a
networked TV game show, to discover the on screen game graphics being
provided by a quite old Acorn RPC - with home made interface to feed it
into the system. Explanation was simple. It worked, and no security issues
leaving the gear in a studio. Unlike, say, a laptop.

Another reason was reboot time about 30 seconds.

--
John Bryan