Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Reay[_6_] Brian Reay[_6_] is offline

Default priming a rusty gate and posts

On 12/04/2020 13:00, AJH wrote:
One of those jobs I've looked at and passed by for years is our front
gate. It's not been touched in 41 years and probably not before that for
a while.

The posts are steel square RHS and the gates welded mild steel with
scroll patterns. They appear to have been primed with a zinc rich paint
like galvafroid and then painted black. Now about 50% of the surface is
rusty.

I can wire brusk the rust and paint over with smooth hammerite but
wondered if it was worth applying some phosphoric acid basedÂ* rust eater
and deterent first. If so what is a cheap source as those little tubs
for rust spots on cars are far too expensive.

Sounds like a big area to treat but some phosphoric acid based treatment
would be my choice, followed by either a zinc based primer and/or
hammerite. When we bought the current house (20+ years back), the side
gate was pretty rusty. I took a wire brush to it (on a drill), treated
as above. I think we've painted it once since. I noticed yesterday it
still looks fine. (Checking for jobs that may need doing!)

--

https://www.antislavery.org/slavery-...forced-labour/